Headline photo

Headline photo
Rockcliffe and Kippford from South Glen Brae: Ed Iglehart [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Introductory text

Kippford and Rockcliffe are on the East Stewartry Coast, an unspoilt National Scenic Area with two other NSAs in close proximity. It is in Dumfries & Galloway, South West Scotland, a region known for it's wonderful scenery, biodiversity, turbulent history, smugglers and black and white 'belted' cattle known as Galloway Belties. This stretch of coastline has many names. Known locally as the Colvend Coast or the 'Secret Coast' (due to the peace and tranquility) it is often referred to as the 'Scottish Riviera' due to it being the holiday resort of choice for Victorian millionaires and having a Gulf Stream influenced microclimate: evidenced by palm trees in some gardens. Castle Douglas, the food town is a short drive away and Kirkcudbright, the Artists Town is over the next headland.


This a scenic and unique part of the world and we started the blog to share the experience of living in this wonderful place. We hope that it will be of interest to others who live here and give those planning to visit the area a taste of all it has to offer.


The blog has a correspondent in both Kippford and Rockcliffe village, you can also follow their Twitter feeds on the right of the page. If you would like to get involved we look forward to hearing from you.

Monday, 11 July 2016

Corsock House - Scotlands Gardens

We were very lucky to grab a few hours off recently and visit Corsock House which was open for the Scotland Gardens scheme. What a treat it was. A wander though beautiful gardens, tea on the lawn and a plant sale.

 
 
 
 
Thank you to the Ingall family for throwing open their garden gates to raise money for Corsock and Kikpatrick Durham Church along with the charities supported by Scotland's Gardens. 
 
  

 
Corsock has a wonderful variety of types of designed landscape, from a  formal walled garden, through richly planted woodlands. The gardens are full of different vistas.The garden has natural pools and temples.
 
 
 
Naturally landscaped water features and delightful surprises on the way. All setting off  the Bryce baronial mansion beautifully.
Ken Cox described this garden as ‘the most photogenic woodland garden in Scotland. '
 
 
 
  Scotland's Gardens facilitates the opening of gardens throughout Scotland with private gardens, not usually open to the public.
Many glorious country house gardens participate in the programme, along with town and village gardens large and small. Fundamentally important is that each garden must have some horticultural interest and be of a certain standard.
 Scotland's Gardens is a registered charity created in 1931, For more information and for other open gardens visit  http://www.scotlandsgardens.org

 
 
 
  
 
Some 200 charities, benefit annually from 40% gross of the takings that are donated to the charities chosen by owner. The remaining 60% of money raised goes to
 
The Queens Nursing Institute Scotland 

The Gardens' Fund of The National Trust for Scotland

 
 
 
 
Next open gardens in the area are ; Millhall Kirkcudbright Sunday 18 September 2:00pm - 5:00pm

Crofts Kirkpatrick Durham Sunday 24 July 2:00pm - 5:00pm

 

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog it's really cool and nice thank you for sharing this great information about the LONDON HOTELS well done.
    LONDON HOTELS

    ReplyDelete